Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Useful Tip #2- Bananas

So since I mentioned bananas it reminded me of a useful tip I learned. Bananas are one of those items in the store that you can choose how many you want even though they come in bunches. They are sold by the pound but I think most people buy them buy the amount they think they will use before they go bad. That still doesn't mean you forget about them hanging on your banana hook and a week later they are already turning brown. Of course just because they are turning doesn't mean they still aren't edible. But I do know of some people who do not like overly ripe bananas. Your options of course would be to eat them or use them in something such as banana bread or cake, make a smoothie, etc. But what if you don't have the time to do any of that right then. Well FREEZE THEM. Yep that's right. You can freeze bananas! I normally just toss them in a ziploc with the skins on but you can peel them. I'd recommend using a vacuum sealer if you are peeling them to keep the freezer burn away. When you are ready to bake or whip up a drink just pop them out, let them thaw out (if needed) and add them to your recipe. If you are wondering how long the bananas will keep in the freezer I've kept mine in there for months. I would think as long as they don't get any freezer burn they'll be fine. So I hope you found this tip useful. I'm now going to go and find a good recipe to post that you can use your bananas in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment